Perinatal Loss Resources
Searching for support, information and answers following the loss of a pregnancy or infant is a natural part of the grief process. Often, there are no answers, but knowing that you are not alone can help. We have compiled some information as a place for you to start, beginning with general resources and then offering links for specific types of loss. For support group resources, click here.
A Message for Friends and Extended Family
If you are a friend or family member looking to support someone, thank you for your willingness to walk alongside your loved one. If you are struggling to know what to do, and what to say or not say, we are here to guide you. Please review our page for friends and extended family.
General Resources (organized alphabetically)
- Babies Remembered - Understanding, healing and information from author, Sherokee Ilse.
- Bereaved Parents of the USA - National non-profit self-help group offering support and understanding for the loss of a child
- Faces of Loss, Faces of Hope - Faces of Loss, Faces of Hope is a place for us to come together and share our stories and our faces with others who may be looking for reassurance that they are not alone.
- Goodgrief App - Launched in 2018, new members create profiles based on the loss they suffered, and then can initiate or accept conversations with others via in-app texting. Their opening sentences often sound almost identical: “I’m here for support,” is typical. These are moms whose babies died during birth. Men whose wives didn’t survive cancer. Sisters who found a sibling post-suicide. Spouses in the aftermath of divorce. Children who lost parents.
- GraceBox - Monthly membership that offers a Christ-centered experience towards healing and self-care. Please note: this is a subscription service that is not free.
- Grief Counseling - Techniques and how it helps.
- GriefWatch – Online resource for loss support.
- Grieve Out Loud – support from bereaved parents for bereaved parents, including a Pen Pal program.
- H.A.N.D. (Helping After Neonatal Death) - Helps parents, their families, and their healthcare providers cope with the loss of a baby before, during or after birth.
- HopeXchange - Offers information, educational and uplifting articles, booklets, pamphlets, books, miscarriage FAQs, extensive list of links and resources, and free monthly newsletter.
- Hugs For Harrison - Faith-based organization that offers care packages and counseling sessions.
- Laurel Box - Gifts to care for the soul after a loss.
- Lyla's Legacy - Offers care packages, up to six sessions of professional and licesnsed counseling & faith-based support.
- Love & Loss Project - The Love & Loss Project offers free virtual monthly Retreats, healing programs & private sessions for women and couples across the globe.
- M.E.N.D. (Mommies Enduring Neonatal Death) – Works hand-in-hand with healthcare providers to improve patient encounters and care in the midst of the painful experience of a miscarriage, stillbirth or infant loss.
- Mi Alma - Offers the opportunity to create a memorial page for family & friends to share condolences, stories, pictures and videos.
- M.I.S.S. Foundation - Mothers In Sympathy and Support (MISS) Foundation is dedicated to supporting parents one to one after the death of an infant or young child. Referrals to peer contacts and ancillary organizations are offered.
- Missing G.R.A.C.E. Foundation - A national nonprofit organization that provides education and bereavement materials for Professional Care Providers as well as resources and support for families that have experienced a pregnancy loss, infant loss, infertility or adoption. The heart of the mission of G.R.A.C.E. is helping families Grieve, Restore, Arise, Commemorate and Educate.
- Return to Zero Center for Healing - Transforming the culture of pregnancy and infant loss through: Healing Retreats, Outreach and Education, Peer Support and Community, and Empowerment.
- Rachel's Gift - A local Atlanta-area organization which partners with local hospitals to assist parents through the initial phase of infant loss through a base of caring and knowledgeable volunteers. They provide grief assistance for the families as well as a training program for nursing professionals and care givers on companioning patients through infant loss.
- Rock Goodbye Angel - Grief support videos are on their YouTube channel for free. A Facebook live support check in available on Wednesdays and Sunday’s. Pastoral counseling services are also available via phone or FaceTime (at a reduced rate during the time of the COVID-19 pandemic).
- Saying Goodbye - Information, advice and support for the loss of a pregnancy or infant (UK based website).
- SHARE Pregnancy and Infant Loss (National) - Serving those whose lives are touched by the tragic death of a baby through pregnancy loss, stillbirth or in the first few months of life; providing support toward positive resolution of grief experienced at the time of or following the death of a baby. This support encompasses emotional, physical, spiritual, and social healing, as well as sustaining the family unit.
- SHARE Pregnancy and Infant Loss (Atlanta Chapter) - Local grief support groups, memorial services, workshops,and outreach for healing and advocacy; memory bricks and angel memorial garden located in Sandy Springs; phone support, website that contains over 400 pages and includes forums, written materials, and opportunities for sharing.
- Stillbirthday - The mission of the Stillbirthday Global Network is to validate a pregnancy loss as the birth, and death, that it is. We do this in part through printable birth plans and doulas who can support families in person prior to, during, or after birth. We aim to come alongside families from the very beginning of their parenting journey, whether through rearing or grieving, and provide support for birth in any trimester.
- Still Standing Magazine - A collection of articles by bereaved parents with support for mothers, fathers, grandparents, and with topics including mental health and infertility.
- Through the Heart - Online support and resources including comfort kits, education and remembrance wall.
- Zoe Rose Memorial Foundation - The site has bereavement support as well as preemie parent support.
- A Baby Carly Story - Mom who delivered her stillborn daughter at Northside.
- A Blog for Fathers When a Baby Dies - for fathers who lose a baby.
- Chasing Rainbows, H.E.A.R.T.strings Perinatal Bereavement & Palliative Care Blog
- Holding Harrison - A mom's encouraging insight about the loss of her son.
- Pregnancy Journeys After Loss: "The birth of a child isn't always a nine-month process."
- Pregnant with Hope - Faith-based infertility and loss support.
- Recapture My Heart – A palliative care journey for a family with a diagnosis of anencephaly.
Resources for Specific Types of Perinatal Loss
LACTATION AFTER LOSS
LIVING CHILDLESS AFTER A LOSS
LOSS OF A MULTIPLE
LACTATION AFTER LOSS
- Helping Hands Milk Bank - Serves as a resource for donation across the United States.
- Human Milk Banking Association of North America - Organization that believes in a world where all infants have access to human milk through support of breastfeeding and use of donor human milk.
- SHARE Pregnancy and Infant Loss (National): Lactation After Loss Brochure - Educational brochure provided by SHARE, a community for anyone who experiences the tragic death of a baby. They serve parents, grandparents, siblings, and others in the family unit, as well as the professionals who care for grieving families.
LIVING CHILDLESS AFTER A LOSS
- Still Mothers: Living Childless After a Loss - Still Mothers is a community and support resource for women who are living a childless life after the death of their only child(ren). We support all mothers who have faced loss due to miscarriage, stillbirth, neonatal death, infant death, as well as any other form of child loss.
LOSS OF A MULTIPLE
- C.L.I.M.B. (Center for Loss in Multiple Birth) - Parents throughout the United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and beyond who have experienced the death of one or more, both or all of our twins or higher multiples at any time from conception through birth, infancy and childhood.
- Forever Angels: Loss in the Womb - Discussion board for parents losing one, more or all multiple birth children.
- TwinList.org - Support for parents who have lost one or all of a set of multiples.
- Baby Center: Termination for Medical Reasons Group - Online support group for those terminating a pregnancy based on medical reasons.
- Ending a Wanted Pregnancy - Provides abortion grief support after pregnancy termination for medical reasons, whether a decision was based on a poor prenatal diagnosis or maternal health problems.
- A Heartbreaking Choice - Offers complete, unconditional support for women who have terminated a much wanted pregnancy due to a poor prenatal diagnosis, a severe or terminal fetal anomaly, a selective reduction, or for the health of the mother.
- Baby Center: Understanding Miscarriage - This website has information on all kinds of loss. Trigger alert – it is also a general pregnancy site.
- Facts About Miscarriage: Information, Healing and Hope - A mom's personal perspective on baby loss and miscarriage.
- March of Dimes: Complications & Miscarriage - Information from the March of Dimes on miscarriage.
- Miscarriage Association - Information and support following miscarriage, molar pregnancy or ectopic. Also has remembrance page to add your baby’s name to a star.
- Miscarriage Support Auckland - Organization based in New Zealand offering information and support.
- Infant Loss Resources - SIDS/sleep related loss
- First Candle - Organization dedicated to reducing the rates of stillbirth and SIDS.
- The International Stillbirth Alliance (ISA) - The International Stillbirth Alliance (ISA) is an alliance of member organizations and individual supporters working towards stillbirth prevention and improvement of bereavement care worldwide.